Sunday, March 21, 2010

Print reading experience

It occurred to me today as I "read" The New York Times (no one ever "reads" the whole thing!) how much more rewarding it was than it will be for me once I am overseas next week and do it online. The whole process is so very different and online still removes - for me, anyway - the orderly nature of the Times or most any other newspaper. I don't think newspapers have focused enough on this in part because they have never trained readers to do what I learned long ago - if I want to get the most out of each printed newspaper I buy, I stand a far better chance of that happening if I turn every day and at least check to see if something on any page catches my attention for any reason. Online, I waste far more time waiting for pages to load and figuring out where to go and being overwhelmed with pages that are too long -- than I do turning one page of a printed newspaper and experiencing the sense of adventure that still grips me as the next two pages greet me for the first time.

In the meantime, I've torn out a number of articles from today's Times that I will read - as they merit it - them more carefully sitting in an airplane seat this afternoon. Is that easier than trying to connect to read them later online? You decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment