Sunday, March 7, 2010

Some user experiences, as they say...

I am a devoted subscriber to The New York Times and have been for more than 40 years.

That said, I have some problems that relate to the printed edition....

For example:

+ Why is it so hard to look up the electronic version of stories in "search" that I find in the printed newspaper? It seems like they only select a few words for search and don't tell us in print what they are. Why not a code or at least tell us which words by some unique typeface or just something to reduce the searching frustration.

+ The Sunday The New York Times did not make it to my driveway today. I got no e-mail or phone call telling me that it would not arrive. When I called, I got no message of apology or explanation from the robot voice. Nothing. Still nothing later in the day after I asked for credit. No call, no e-mail, nothing to explain why and apologize? How dumb is that?

+ I drove to a newsrack nearby early today and no newspapers there either. Later, I called a nearby food store and they said they had two copies and would hold one for me. They did, and I got the paper, being reminded that it costs over $6. When I paid for my copy, I asked the person checking me out if he did not think that was expensive. He responded that he did not know - "I'm not in the habit of looking at newspapers," the young man told me.

I sure think all of that is recipe for a remedy or a disaster, and I fear the latter, but eternally hope for the former!

No comments:

Post a Comment