Saturday, March 13, 2010

"RDU can't ban newspaper racks" - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

I have several reactions to this decision about selling printed newspapers.

One, as a taxpayer in this jurisdiction, I am offended to think that "we" will have to pay three-quarters' of a million dollars to cover the costs of this litigation. It should never have been commenced in the first place. Perhaps the decrease in revenues from shops in the airport will be substantial and make matters worse, but I would be surprised if that is the case.

Second, one of my traveler and newspaper reader frustrations given today's security mania at airports is that the entire - not just mostly, but the entire - focus is on departing passengers. When I get off an airplane, I'd like to buy a local newspaper. How often does that happen? Next to never in my experience.

It will be very interesting to see if the newspapers who choose to place racks at the airport wind up dividing them equally, more or less, between arrivals and departures.

No comments:

Post a Comment