Thursday, March 25, 2010

When a newsstand closes....

It is always said, anywhere, to see a newsstand close.

Here in Nice, I stopped to buy the local newspaper this morning at a newsstand that I frequent and which is about as 100% a printed periodical reading matter store as I could imagine. They sell very little other than newspapers and magazines.

I use the present tense correctly but I learned today that come Saturday, it will no longer be so. They are closing for good, and no one is assuming ownership. So that is one more place where we will not find a printed newspaper on Sunday or any day to follow.

Could the shop have evolved and kept itself afloat? I think so, but resting on untested theories of what kinds of change would have been needed.

In any case, as I walked out of the shop, a well-dressed man stopped me and asked - since the newsstand was closing - would I like to buy a home-delivered subscription to the local newspaper that I had in my hand. I was very impressed that he and/or the local newspaper - Nice Matin - was on top of the news and pursuing it as they should, or at least pursuing it in the right direction if not the most successful manner. He did not make a sale with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment